Friday, December 3, 2010

Bloggers Challenge-Ornament

     For our Bloggers Challenge this week, our group  ‘Mom’ Lisa challenged us with the theme ornament(s).  I chose to make cards, as once again I have put off making holiday cards…..









































 I used my new ornament digi from Fred She Says Digitals. I colored the ornament with Copic Spica Pens and the foilage is colored with Copic Markers. I added a dot of White Gel Pen to accent the berries.
I used Basic Grey Figgy Pudding DSP and added a strip of blue ‘Instant Crackle’  from a previous Technique Junkies newsletter done with a little shimmery Radiant Pearls that has been punched out with a MS edge punch.  I added sewing around the edge and some rhinestones for bling. 






















 



















The second card is done with a TJ technique using Pearl-ex Reflux Violet.  My husband is not fond of the Purple- but I love it!   I added a little grey ribbon organdy gathered in a Zig-Zag pattern.

HERE is the link to stop by the other Bloggers Challenge players blogs to see their interpretation of an ORNAMENT .
*****************************************************************************************
Gathering ribbon in a Zig Zig:
I used 5/8” ribbon for this card.  Start on one end with a needle and thread to match the ribbon color.  I used my thread doubled.  Secure your thread end (Knot thread and secure it on the end of the ribbon- I folded this ribbon under so the raw edge is sewn under ~ 3/8 inch).

    Make stitches as shown by the dotted lines in a Zig-Zag pattern . The farther apart you make your Zigs and Zags, the wider the ruffle will be when gathered.  (Grosgrain is thicker and will result in wider ruffles). You may want to secure one end when you start to pull the thread to gather the ribbon, as it will want to twist.  I gather the ribbon as I go and cut off the ribbon when I am satisfied with how the ruffled ribbon looks.
  You can sew the ribbon down by machine, or use sticky tape to attach it to your project.  If you use an ATC gun or a glue glider pro, take it and run ~ 3/8”-1/2” on a scrap cardstock, and roll it up into a little glue dot ball and use that to attach the ribbon anywhere you want it to lay flat- that is what I did on the either side of the card with the ends of the ribbon.
********************************************************************************************
Challenges for my cards:
Bloggers Challenge
One Stitch at a Time- Glitz it up- both cards
Karber Weekly-Digi and Sparkle
Pink Elephant-Blue, Red and Green
ABC Christmas-Christmas and Yuletide Holly and Berries/Red and Green
Creative Cottage-Untraditional Christmas Colors-Purple and Turquoise
Stampin B’s-Purple and Turquoise and something Shiney-2nd card
Alphabet-F is for foilage
Betty Bees Buzz-Use Fred She Said Digi

Thanks for stopping by today!
Shelly

35 comments:

JP Card Crazy said...

Shelly this is fantastic. I love the way you used the paper in the background!

Priyanka said...

aweeesome coloring of the ornament and background paper is very matched with it,thanks for ur explanation of the ribbon,ur ribbon looks different and unique.ur comment always feel me soooo proud.

Heidi Hihn said...

Very elegant! Love the colors and papers you chose!

Priyanka said...

aah snow fall is starting there?sometimes I am thinking that if I will there then how I can shampoo my hair once in a week,my God too cold,here is mild winter coming gradually.

Stampin in the suburbs said...

These are very nice - elegant and classy. The bling is really nice. the close up picture really highlights it.

Terry said...

What a stunning ornament! Beautiful card!! Have a great weekend!

Lisa Bohler said...

These both turned out beautifully! Love the sparkle that you added with those copics...terrific!

Unknown said...

Beautiful card Shelly. Great image & colours - just all round fantastic! Thanks for joining the Alphabet Challenge x

jimlynn said...

Hey Shelly - these are FABULOUS!!! Love the blue of that first one - it really gives it the WOW factor.....and the purple color background on the second one does the same thing! Both are wonderful.
Lynn

lindyloo said...

What a fantastic card love the colours and also the sparkle thanks for joining us at the creative cottage huggies lindyloo x

Marilyn said...

Wow! these are really nice. Really, really nice!

Unknown said...

So beautiful card! Thank you for playing The Karber Weekly Challenge :)

Rachel Hope said...

Pretty cards!!

Ruth said...

Great cards! Thanks for the tip about the ribbon! Ruth :)

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Just fab hun, love those ornaments & all thar sparkle is just great!

Thank you for sharing with us at OSAAT this week, good luck! Hugs Shell xx

paige said...

Beautiful ornaments!

Juliet A said...

How fun to make your ornaments sparkly with glitter pens! I like your ruffle tut, too. I may have to try it myself.

Karen Howard said...

Both cards are gorgeous, love how you colored the blue ornament! Hugs, Karen

Basement Stamper said...

Great ornament cards, love the glimmer on them! And holiday cards? Shutterfly this year for me!

BarbaraW said...

Beautiful cards. Love that ornament. The background is so pretty.

Carrie said...

I love both cards but I think the sparkly blue ornament is my fav with that gorgeous striped paper.

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Great card.....it catches your eye with the bg going corner to corner!

Barbara said...

Such pretty ornament images. I can't decide if it's the same one over and over or just colored differently....either way, they are spectacular! And thanks for the ribbon tutorial...gotta try that!

Cheryl said...

Gorgeous cards Shelly! I love the glitter.

Kimberly Gajewski said...

These are very pretty Shelly! I love all of the blue sparkle on the first card! Beautifully done!

Lisa Somerville said...

Beautiful ornament, love the shimmer!

Court said...

Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous!!! Thank you for playing along with us at Betty Bee's Buzz!

Benzi said...

Awesome! I love ornaments and this is beautiful. So glad you joined the Stampin B's color challenge this week.

Ida said...

These are gorgeous.

Lesley said...

Beautiful cards, thanks for taking part in the Alphabet Challenge xx

Nikki Bond said...

Love your color choices...these are stunning! {SMILES}

June Houck said...

Both cards are wonderful...love the glitter! Thank you for joining us at Betty Bee's Buzz :)

Marsha Fisher said...

Love the glitter from the spica pens...and the gathered ribbon rocks! Thanks for sharing the technique :0)

Lori said...

Beautiful cards! Love all the sparkle on your ornament images.

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous cards :-) the bauble is fab,,, so sparkly and the ruffled ribbbon is lovely too, I will have to try that :-)

thanks for joining us on the ABC Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x