Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Irish Teddy Postcard: Masking and coloring

I joined a 'postcard' swap for St Patricks' Day, and the image had to be hand carved.....  I went to work looking up free images on the internet, and ended up with a teddy bear holding a Shamrock. 



I am posting lots of pictures here- my How to process : )  


Image was stamped in Distress ink.  I generally color using Copics, but for a postcard, we do not want color bleeding through...  so, I stamped the image three more times and made 'stencils' from the cardstock and added color using Distress inks.



 I stamped the image on two pieces of Post it note sticky paper put together and made a mask....


After stamping the image, I fussy cut it out.  This is sticky on the entire image back....  so I could use it over and over again.  


Adding the mask over the image, I colored the background using 4 Distress ink colors.  When they overlap with blending, I get more colors.  I used Red, Yellow, Blue and Purple.   But, you can see where Red and yellow blend, I have a strip of orange, and where Yellow and blue overlap, there is a strip of green.......  


This is the back of the postcard.  


I added a sentiment using carved letters and Queens Gold Embossing powder. 


I laminated the postcards.  They are taking forever to arrive- some over 2 weeks! 

But, I enjoyed the process very much!  Today would have been dad's 97th Birthday. He was 100% Irish and I am about 2/3 Irish......  

Thanks for stopping by!
Shelly

2 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

WOW! I am so impressed, Shelly! Such a work of art and all of the effort you put into carving the stamp makes it extra special!

Margaret said...

Fabulous postcards. I'm amazed at your talent in creating this stamp and your whole design is really spectaclar.