Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Tuesday Throwdown- Awareness

The Tuesday Throwdown challenge this week is all about 'Awareness'. Our Sponsor is Bugaboo, who generously allowed each DT member to choose an image from their large assortment of Awareness images.
  It was a tough call, I have a nephew who has had Wilms Tumor which is cancer of the kidney (he is 7 now and is doing well), and another nephew that is Diabetic- Type 1 (He is a freshman in college this year). 
 So, as you see, I went with the Diabetes image- called Bugaboo Brat-Diabetic Boy. The colors for Diabetes Awareness are Gray and Blue, so I used those colors for the theme of my card.  I was inspired by a Sketch (and ended up CASE'n the card here) from HERE. 
 I used twine that was white and colored it with a B06 Copic after it was applied to the cardstock- I simply slid an envelope behind the twine while coloring with the marker- fun- perfect match.....  The ribbon is cardstock and the red brad symbolized a drop of blood.
 And, I decided to make another card with the scraps of the DP I had left over..... I am trying to practice Copic coloring, so used a few different colors on this 2nd card for the hair and skin.
  There is a cool blood test doctors can use to tell how what your blood sugar average is over the last three months.  It is called HgA1C (or Hemoglobin A 1 C).  The result of this blood test can tell the doctor how well Diabetes in under control. It also tells if Diabetics cheat alot. 
 
There is a DT call right now at Tuesday Throwdown : )   Stop on by and see the wonderful Awareness cards and the variety of images the team used!
 
Challenges:
Craft Your Passion- Hope/Love/encouragement

Thanks for stopping by!
Shelly

11 comments:

*Vicki* said...

AWE! Shelly, this is really precious!! I love BOTH of the ways you've used this image!! The background on the second card reminds me of a comfy quilt!! Love them both! HUGS :)

jimlynn said...

Fantastic!!! Love the blue and gray and you did great on the coloring on both cards....which, by the way, are outstanding!!
Lynn

Pamellia said...

Doesn't look to me like you need much practice, your images are coloured perfectly! Wonderful cards and a great cause! Your little guy is so adorable! hugs :)

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your nephews are sick. Fabulous cards to bring awareness to the stamping community. Well done.

Penny said...

Really love your color combo for both cards! Great designs, cute images, love your coloring and the papers! :^)
Hugs, Penny

kiwimeskreations said...

Shelly these are great cards - thanks too for personalising your post by telling us of your nephews and their battles. Love the tones of gray and blue you have used on these cards.
Blessings
Maxine

Lady Bug Stampers said...

Oh love this one. Love the papers and the great detail and your coloring is wonderful.
Linda K.

Kim said...

This is so adorable! Love the embossed background and beautiful layout.

NanaConnie said...

Both of these cards are wonderful, Shelly! I recognized the blue and gray for diabetes right away. Amazing how much I've learned since my grandson was diagnosed in early July. :-D I'm so far behind on visiting my fav blogs. Life just got in the way. I hope you'll forgive if I don't have time to comment on every post. I am browsing everything you've done. Hugz, my friend.

Bonnie Irvine said...

Great cards for a wonderful cause. I love the designs and the sweet image. The textures on both cards are beautiful. My husband is diabetic and gets that test regularly...it gives such helpful information. Thanks also for joining our Where There's Hope challenge at Craft Your Passion this week. I hope we see you again soon.

Donna K said...

Fantastic! What a way to represent. You colored the images wonderfully...not sure why you are practicing, your coloring skills look top notch to me! Have a great week, Shelly!