Thursday, July 4, 2013

God Bless America!!!

Happy 4th of July!!!  I am posting for day 4 of the Michael Strong week of posting- and it is Technique Thursday...... : )

 Where we are from, sitting around a Fire Pit in the evening and making Smores is common. So, I thought it would be fun to show how to make Firestarters.

  There are many ways to make Firestarters- they help get the fire going in the firepit or a fire while camping.  This project is great for kids- it will keep them occupied while you get ready..... : )

Cut a sheet of paper- any paper- wrapping paper, Kraft grocery bags, Designer Paper.......
6" wide by 10 1/2 " long

Place lint from your dryer in the center of a Toilet paper tube (that is empty : ) hehehe)  You can also drip in a little wax from a candle if you would like to....if the entire center of the tube is not filled, you can also stuff in paper/newspaper, paper towels.....

Place tape in 3 places in the center of one side of the 10.5" side  of the paper- the long way- it will hold the paper around the tube......

Place your 'stuffed' tube on the 6" x 10.5" paper and roll it towards the tape. This will secure the portion of the roll that surrounds the Toilet paper tube.

Close/Scrunch together the ends and tie them shut-I used Bakers Twine.  

Decorate the ends as desired.  I stamped the Michael Strong Small Cloisonne Star in Red, Brilliant Blue and Gray, and tied them on with twine. (The stars come in a set).

I used a Gelli plate for the darker Firestarter sheet- I brayered Blue and Red paints onto the Gelli plate using a Kraft shopping bag for my paper.  I stamped the star into the wet paint, and it removes the paint- leaving the impression of the image- so it is like a resist....look what a great detailed impression you get......
  I did not want to waste the 'extra' Gelli print, so I also made a card:

 and I took the scraps and did some weaving of the left-over background and made an ATC. The background is embossed with the SU Stripes embossing folder, and the raised lines highlighted with Red Copic Marker. I added Sakura Gelly Pen highlights for shimmer.
That's all for today- one more day left- so I will see you tomorrow!!!

Have a safe day- relax and enjoy- eat yummy food- and don't drink and drive!!!

Thanks for stopping by!
 Shelly

11 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

You have been busy Shelly - and I love all your work on this post.
Have a happy 4th of July
Blessings
Maxine

Michele said...

wow, first, how cool about the fire starters. never heard of making anything like that. now second -- what great designs for your cards! fabulous coloring and all. wonderful. happy 4th! be safe and happy. xo

Stef H said...

wow! these are all fabulous!!! absolutely fabulous!

have a great 4th!

hugs :)

Darlene said...

WOW What a great idea Shelly and love your creations! Happy 4th of July! Be safe and have fun!!

Darlene said...

What a fun idea! Those firestarters certainly would be a great way to keep the kids busy while adults prepared for the bonfire! Except - aren't they too pretty to burn?? Love that background paper you made, good thing you made a card & ATC too!
Happy & Safe holiday to you!

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

What a fun patriotic project and beautiful card!

Terry said...

What a fabulous card, so patriotic and perfect for the 4th! Enjoy you time by the fire eating those smores.

Linda Palmer said...

What a wonderful idea for the fire starters. I have a large family and most of them camp. I'm going to make them some out of my scraps etc. Love the beautiful cards you made out of that beautiful background paper. I love patriotic designs. Have a fun and safe 4th.

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Awesome idea you came up with. How fun. I love your card. Happy 4th of July!

Karli said...

Burn these? Oh no! They're much too pretty. They can sit in an unlit bonfire though *Ü*
Happy 4th of July!

Laura said...

Oh Shelly, I LOVE the Idea of the Starters. I spend soooo much on the starters from the stores. Thank You soooo much for sharing. And your Cards are awesome I love the design on both. Just Perfect for the 4th of July!