Thursday, September 24, 2009

Bloggers Challenge-use DSP; Sweet Dreamers Blog Challenge #9-use buttons


I recently had a Stampin Up Demo laugh when I told her that I was making a card with a 'theme'. That struck her fancy- "So, you have- homework"? she asked me? Well, I guess you could look at it that way, I like to think it is a challenge and a push for inspiration to learn and grow in my stamping abilities.

This card has stretched me in many ways- it is my first Tri Shutter card, I never use DSP until recently and very rarely use buttons! Using the Tri Shutter card was my own idea, but buttons and DSP are the two challenges I took on this week. The instructions for the Tri-Shutter are from a SCS Technique Challenge click here for the link for the instructions.

One of my daughter's dearest friends has a cat- Cookie. (Cookie is 5). My friend is highly allergic, but cookie is hypoallergenic. Anyway, I am making this card for Kristy-who is 16 and is pictured in front of the Christmas Tree last year with her cat.


I used SU DSP The Write Stuff and Merry Moments. I love the Soft Suede and Ruby Red color combination. I used Copic markers to color in my image, a set by Firecracker Designs by Pamela called Hello Kitty. For the girls hair, I used Y21 and Y26. For her skin, I used E000, E00 and R20. For her shirt, I used R24 and R59. For the kitty, I used E31 AND 33, then dabbed on E27 and blended it in with E31. Finally, I added a touch of Y13 for the kitty's eyes.
I stamped the paw image on vanilla CS (SU) and colored them in E31 and E33, and covered them with Crystal effects. I added some Bling it (Basic Grey) around the cat and on the girls hair tie and for her earring.
I added Bling it, Dew Drops and Buttons for faux ornaments-trying to mimic the picture on the Rt-added silver cording on the paws (for hangers) and added buttons with retired SU cording through them. I also took white yarn and put it in a bowl with a touch of H2O and some Ruby red reinker for the cording that is holding the sentiment.

I don't think I forgot anything........ The nice think about making a card for Kristy, is that she has an interest in the paper arts (unlike my daughters), so I know she will keep and appreciate this card!

I should add that I did reference the blog I Like markers
for visuals when coloring my image. I also found a link on SCS a while ago that I have printed out that correlated the Copic markers to SU cardstock colors- that is an awesome reference when coloring and blending.

My sister is a cat lover too....maybe I will make her a scrapbook page next.......

Thanks for looking- hope you enjoyed my Tri Shutter card.

Shelly

21 comments:

TesaB said...

Oh MY!!! STUNNING! What a totally amazing card. Never tried that format, looks intricate, but the result is fantastic!

Tami Black said...

Love how you used the card to scrapbook -- fantastic design!

Mary G. said...

Wow! Great job on both challenges! This card is SO amazing!!

Vicki said...

Shelly, this is amazing! Gorgeous DP and accents! And what a wonderful card for your friend! I know she will love it! Blessings to you!

froebelsternchen said...

your Tri Shutter Card is fantastic !
hugs Susi

Kerry D-C said...

What a lovely tri shutter card! ANd I especially love how your incorporated photos onto it! Great job!

Chrissy D said...

Ohhh how pretty, Shelly! I have not tried one of these cards yet - but I love the photos, great project!

Lorie said...

Neat...love those tri shutter cards!

Ida said...

Awesome job with this challenge. I've yet to try the Tri-Shutter card tech. but you've got it down girl. Love that you added photos (what a beautiful cat).

Anonymous said...

you can't go wrong with shutter cards--very nice job!

Rachel Hope said...

Lovely! those cards are so fun, must try one myself soon!

Donna Moore said...

Shelly, this card/scrapbook page is just so impressive! I love the papers, your coloring, the design and the stamp set ;) !! I am sure you friend will be totally knocked out, as she should be!!

Sheryl Dickinson said...

This is so cute! I haven't tried a tri shutter card yet--but yours is awesome, especially with the photos.

Kathy said...

Unbelievable detail in this card. It is absolutely stunning. Love the papers, image, fold, everything about it. Your daughter's friend will LOVE this, what an amazing thing to make for her!

Margaret Raburn said...

Such a stunning card! Beautiful!

Connie Babbert said...

Lovely card...what a nice gift!

Karli said...

Love the way you added the picture on the last panel. I don't think I've seen that done before :) I haven't tried the tri-shutter card before, but I think I may have to soon- so pretty!

Lori said...

Fabulous design! Love how you incorporated a photo into the layout. I'm sure this will be treasured.

Connie Fossenier said...

I especially love any card that incorporates a picture...awesome and the card sketch is just perfect..
connie paxman

Ursula said...

This is amazing, Shelly!! I think this is my fave thing I have ever seen done with this stamp set! Everything works so well together! Thanks, too, for the I love markers blog link; that's a new one for me! :o)

Lisa Bohler said...

Wow! It's more of a mini scrapbook than a card!!! Too cool!